Research Technologist 2 Job ID: 27624
The Research Technologist 2 conducts immunohistochemistry research lab work and/or assists in design of one or more specific phase(s) of entire research project(s) for client laboratories.
- Following protocols, designs, sets-up and conducts basic experiments.
- Analyzes and troubleshoots protocols and data obtained from individual experiments and recommends alternatives and suggestions to improve processes, validity and/or accuracy.
- Using a fully functioning level of skill, completes the following activities (please highlight): Duties will include all stages of Immunohistochemistry (IHC) and immunofluorescence (IF) assays related to tissue processing, including routine IHC/IF using established and new protocols. The technologist will perform antibody titration/optimization experiments for assay development as well as small animal surgery, basic tissue grossing, processing, embedding (paraffin and OCT) and special staining. Accuracy at every stage follow project requisition will be essential.
- Orders reagents, antibodies, prepare various stock and working solutions to ensure adequate supplies for the projects. Evaluates equipment and reagent systems, maintains equipment with documentation, accurate logbook maintenance and slide files. Completes all tasks within targeted turn-around-time.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Demonstrated laboratory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions as required by research protocols.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including spreadsheets and basic computations.
- Attention to detail and accurate record keeping.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Manual dexterity.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.